Thursday, October 22, 2015

My assignment was to "speak my truth" and write on the theme of "possibility". This is what I came up with.


Red, White and Blue in the Face


Dream the impossible dream
he said
The possibilities are endless
he said
The world is your oyster
he said


These are the lies my country told me
while that oyster drowned me in a sea of abandonment and degradation
it tried to swallow me whole


If only I could “pick myself up by my boot straps”
and work hard for the money
so hard for it, honey


A dream is a wish your heart makes
beating with possibility
HOO-RAH


Ripped from my mother’s womb
The founding fathers are dead
but
I have some serious daddy issues


Arm yourselves
because love is a battlefield
Dream on, sweetheart
Talk to the hand
that’s cracked from hard labor


Should I give up, or should I “just keep chasing pavement”?
Don’t step on the cracks
or it’ll break the backs of those who built this country


Sure I have a dream
you lying, cheating, son of a bitch.
----------------------------------------------------------
I'm kind of angry, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment